10th Class Social New Syllabus and Question Paper Analysis

Education News Curricular reforms, revision of syllabus and textbooks for the Class X have been introduced to meet the requirements of National Curriculum framework-2005 and Right to Education Act-2009 provisions. The Class X new textbooks will be introduced from the coming academic year i.e. 2014-15. As new books are introduced the evaluation process also needs to be modified.

Earlier Social Sciences subject matter can be divided into four parts - Geography, History, Civics and Economics. But in new syllabus, total subject has been divided into two parts with total of 22 chapters.

Part-I: Resources Development and Equity deals with themes of Indian climate, relief, drainage, people, settlement, food security and globalization.

Part-II: Contemporary World and India deals with world wars, liberation movements, partition of India, constitution and emerging political trends.

This new syllabus is not only helps them to go with continuous and comprehensive evaluation (CCE) but also helps to achieve academic standards with -
  • Conceptual understanding
  • Interpretation
  • Skill development
  • To solve contemporary issues
  • Mapping skills
  • Appreciation and understanding
Special features in new syllabus are brain mapping, key words, information skill, mapping and appreciation.

Exam Pattern
Social Studies subject will have two papers and each paper is for 50 marks and the examination duration is 2 hours and 30 minutes in addition to 15 minutes for reading the question paper.
  • The summative examinations conducted by Director, Government Examinations. Each subject will be conducted for 80% of marks. The remaining 20% of marks are through internal assessment i.e. Formative Assessment [FA].
  • The average of four formative assessments conducted in an academic year will be accounted for 20% of marks i.e. the average of four formative assessments will be taken and accounted for 20% of marks in class X public examinations.
Summative Assessment
  • Three summative tests must be conducted in each academic year for class X. Public examination will be in place of third summative test to be conducted by the Board of Secondary Education.
  • First and second Summative Assessments shall be conducted by schools itself through preparing question papers for 80% of marks. This ensures that the children are trained to write public exams. The remaining 20% of marks shall be awarded on the basis of the Formative Assessment.
Internal and External Weightages – Formative and Summative
80% marks in each subject come from the summative / external public examinations and remaining 20% marks come from the internals under formative assessment. The areas and marks for the formative assessment can be seen in the following table -

Sl. No.

Item for Formative Assessment

Marks

 

1

Social Studies – Reading the text and interpretation and reflections on contemporary social issues through writing and class room presentation

5

2

A child’s written work in their notebooks – Self expression / writing to the questions/ tasks given in the exercise part under each unit / lesson. The children shall not copy the answers from guides / study materials etc. but they should think and write on their own. (These are basically class room note books)

5

3

Project works

5

4

Slip test

5

 

Total

20


A separate notebook for the formative assessment pertaining to three items of serial numbers 1, 3 and 4 of the above table shall be maintained by each student. In case of serial number 2, separate class room notebook shall be maintained by each student.

These notebooks reflecting children works must be preserved which will be the basis for awarding marks by the teacher and for the verification of officials whenever required. The average of four FAs will be accounted for 20% of marks in public examinations under each subject

Pass Marks and Minimum Marks for Passing
    • 35% is the pass marks for all the language and non language subjects. Students must qualify in external exam (SA).
    • In non-language subjects, the students need not pass in each of the two papers separately.
    • Student must score a minimum of 35% of marks in each subject (aggregate of Paper 1 and Paper 2). Students must secure 28 marks in external public exam. 
Grading
The details of marks based grading for Class X with the range are given in the following table -

Grade

Marks in Languages (100 M)

Marks in Non Languages (50 M)

Grade points

A1

91 to 100 marks

46 to 50 marks

10

A2

81 to 90 marks

41 to 45 marks

9

B1

71 to 80 marks

36 to 40 marks

8

B2

61 to 70 marks

31 to 35 marks

7

C1

51 to 60 marks

26 to 30 marks

6

C2

41 to 50 marks

21 to 25 marks

5

D1

35 to 40 marks

18 to 20 marks

4

D2

0 to 34 marks

0 to 17 marks

3

Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) will be calculated by taking the arithmetic average of grade points.
Published on 7/10/2014 5:37:00 PM

Related Topics