The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India (GOI), invites applications for UGC National Eligibility Test (UGC-NET) December 2019 exam through National Testing Agency (NTA).
UGC-NET is a test to determine the eligibility for ‘Assistant Professor’ and ‘Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor’ in Indian universities and colleges.
UGC- JRF Fellowship award:
- The stipend of a JRF will be Rs.31,000/- P.M (under revision) for the first two years. In addition, annual contingent grant of Rs.20,000/-per Fellow will be provided to the University / Institution.
- On Completion of two years as JRF and if the Fellow is registered for PhD, the Fellowship will be upgraded to SRF (NET) and the stipend will be increased to Rs.35,000/- P.M
Age Limit and Relaxation
- General/Unreserved/General-EWS candidates who have secured at least 55% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s Degree or equivalent examination from universities/institutions recognized by UGC in Humanities and Social Science(including languages), Computer Science and Applications, Electronic Science etc. are eligible for this Test. The Other Backward Classes (OBC) belonging to Non-Creamy Layer/Scheduled Caste (SC)/Scheduled Tribe (ST)/Persons with Disability (PwD)/Transgender category candidates who have secured at least 50% marks (without rounding off) in Master’s degree or equivalent examination are eligible for this Test.
- Candidates who are pursuing their Master’s degree or equivalent course or candidates who have appeared for their qualifying Master’s degree (final year) examination and whose result is still awaited or candidates whose qualifying examinations have been delayed may also apply for this test. However, such candidates will be admitted provisionally and shall be considered eligible for award of JRF/eligibility for Assistant Professor only after they have passed their Master’s Degree or equivalent examination with at least 55% marks (50% marks in case of OBC-NCL /SC/ST/PwD/Transgender category candidates). Such candidates must complete their Master degree or equivalent examination within two years from the date of NET result with required percentage of marks, failing which they shall be treated as disqualified.
- General/Unreserved/General-EWS candidates belonging to the transgender category would be eligible to draw the same relaxation in fee, age and qualifying criteria for NET (that is, JRF and Assistant Professor) as are available to SC/ST/PwD categories. The subject wise cut-offs for this category should be the lowest among those for SC/ST/PwD/OBC–NCL categories in the corresponding subject.
- The PhD degree holders whose Master’s level examination have been completed by 19 September 1991 (irrespective of date of declaration of result) shall be eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks (i.e. from 55% to 50%) for appearing in NET. The list of Post-Graduation courses and their codes is given at Annexure-V.
- Candidates are advised to appear in the subject of their Post Graduation only.
- Candidates are neither required to send any certificates/documents in support of their eligibility nor printout of their Application Form or Confirmation Page to NTA. However, the candidates, in their own interest, must ensure themselves about their eligibility for the test. In the event of any ineligibility being detected by the UGC/NTA at any stage, their candidature will be cancelled and they shall be liable for legal action. NTA does not verify the information provided by the candidates during online registration and hence candidature will be purely provisional subject to the fulfillment of eligibility criteria.
- Candidates with post-graduate diploma/certificate awarded by Indian University/ Institute or foreign degree/diploma/certificate awarded by the foreign University/ institute should in their own interest, ascertain the equivalence of their diploma/degree/ certificate with Master’s degree of recognized Indian universities from Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi.
How to apply:
- JRF: Not more than 30 years as on 1st December, 2019. A relaxation of upto 5 years is provided to the candidates belonging to OBC-NCL (as per the Central list of OBC available on website: www.ncbc.nic.in) /SC/ST/PwD/Transgender categories and to women applicants. Relaxation will also be provided to the candidates with research experience, limited to the period spent on research in the relevant/related subject of post graduation degree, subject to a maximum of 5 years, on production of a certificate from appropriate authority. Three years relaxation in age will be permissible to the candidates with L.L.M. degree. A relaxation of upto 5 years is provided to the candidates who have served in the armed forces subject to the length of service in the armed forces upto the first day of the month in which the concerned UGC-NET is to be held. Total age relaxation on the above ground(s) shall not exceed five years under any circumstances.
- Assistant Professor: There is no upper age limit in applying for UGC-NET for Assistant Professor.
Applicants can apply online mode only.
Mode of Examination:
Computer Based Test (CBT) only.
- General/Unreserved: Rs. 1000/-
- Gen-EWS/ OBC-NCL: Rs. 500/-
- SC/ST/PwD/ Transgender: Rs. 250/-
For more details, please visit,
- Last date for Online submission of Application Form: 9th October, 2019 (upto 11:50 pm).
- Last date of successful transaction of fee: 10th October, 2019 (upto 11:50 pm).
- Correction in particulars of Application Form on website: 18th October to 25th October, 2019.
- Downloading of Admit Cards from NTA website: 9th November, 2019.
- Dates of Examination Between: 2nd December, 2019 and 6th December, 2019.
- Declaration of Result on NTA website: 31st December, 2019.